Today we continue the story of the burgeoning growth of Spokane, especially on the prestigious new “South Hill” area. Our story continues, according to the book, “Manito Park: A Reflection of Spokane’s Past”, by Tony Bamonte and Suzanne Schaeffer Bamonte of www.tornadocreekpublications.com
The key to selling real estate in the early 1900s was the availability of street railway service to the development, graded roads and water. When Graves purchased Cook’s Spokane & Montrose streetcar line in 1902, he immediately began to enlarge and improve it. He then organized the Spokane-Washington Improvement Company to “plat additions, install water systems, grade streets, establish and maintain parks, and all other necessary functions vital to property development.” Graves sold 50 acres south of 33rd Avenue to the Spokane Country Club for a clubhouse and nine-hole golf course. This was a well-executed scheme to attract future buyers to lots around that site. Other developers also began selling lots on the South Hill, and it was soon revealed that a large tract of land would be donated for a park.